I first posted this tribute three years ago. But wanted to post again today in memory of ten years passing........Today marks the 10th anniversary of Dad's death and each time
this day rolls around, there is a sadness and a void in my heart. I had a wonderful Godly father, who is enjoying all Heaven has to offer, but I do miss him so much! Dad was diagnosed with a terminal illness just 7 weeks before he died (amyloidosis). I only got to visit him once during that 7 weeks (the picture below was taken during that visit). That was in late September about a month before he died. Jeff, Rachel, Andy & I went up to Kansas for jus
t a quick 36 hour visit.I would like to tell you this story -- not to make you sad -- but to hopefully encourage you as to how good and gracious and loving God is!!
My sister, Beverly, who lives in Tyler, Texas -- and I, who was living in Conway, Arkansas at the time, decided each to fly to Kansas City, where our younger sister, Kaye lived, to spend the weekend together. This was the very first time -- in our adult life, that us three girls had ever done that (and the first time Bev or I had flown "all" by ourselves--she from DFW and I from Little Rock). We had always spent time together as "family" with husbands, children, Mom & Dad, at holidays, etc., but never just the 3 of us. We flew into KC about 2 hours apart very late on Friday night. Saturday morning, we called Mom & Dad (who lived 2 hours south of KC) and asked them if they felt like driving up Sunday, eating lunch with us after church and accompanying my sister in taking us to the airport that evening. Mom asked Dad if he was up to that and he said yes. So Bev, Kaye & I, along with my niece, Adrienne, spent the day, Saturday together and had a very enjoyable time down at the Plaza, etc. We had just walked into Kaye's apartment, when her cell phone rang. It was Mother, in a panic.......she said Dad was standing at the kitchen sink, looking out at his cows in the pasture, when he just fell backwards to the floor. She had called 911 and they were there "working" on him. My cousin and wife lived just two houses down and were there too. So we talked to Brian, and he said, it didn't look good. So we immediately said....."we are on our way!" About half way down, we received the dreaded phone call from my Uncle Marvin, that Dad had passed away (actually he had died immediately from a heart attack due to the terminal illness).
We arrived at the hospital within 2 hours to a sidewalk full of family and friends, and were able to go into ER and spend those last few precious moments with our Dad!
It truly was one of the most difficult days of my life -- yet this is my PRAISE!!!
The terminal disease Dad was diagnosed with, was very rare (Mayo Clinic finally diagnosed it) and it would have been a horribly painful death had he lived a long time, so it was very gracious of God to take him on home. And then our Heavenly Father lovingly knew us girls needed to be together and the fact we were only 2 hours away was a great blessing for my Mom's sake (normally, Bev was 8 hours away and I was 5 hrs away). It brought such overwhelming comfort to know, without a doubt, God so destined that to be the case, when He called our "daddy" home. How awesome is that!!! We've often wondered, if Dad was looking out his kitchen window that day, telling God, "It's OK for you to take me on home, my girls are close by......"
So as I cry these tears at missing my Dad, I also have such rejoicing in my heart, as to God's great mercy, grace and love!! Oh how, He loves you and me!
The song "I Can Only Imagine" by Mercy Me had just been released. None of us girls (or Jeff) had even heard it, but Andy happened to have purchased the CD just a short time prior to his Grandpa's death. He had us listen to this song as we were traveling into town to view Dad's body. We all agreed, it had to be played at the funeral. My niece, Shawna, who does an excellent job at sign language, quickly learned the song and at the end of the funeral service as the song played, Shawna signed. It was beautiful! It will always be a very special song to me and my family (as Rachel will also speak of in the blog below). Please click on the link to the right of this posting and watch this beautiful video and listen to this song.
On a more humorous note, this picture is of Dad and my cousin, Holly's son, Joel in 1994. Mom & Dad lived all their married life (50+ years) on a farm and always hosted the family on the Fourth of July! There are many wonderful memories from those yearly events. Joel loved his "Uncle Edward"! Dad had found a dead turtle and filled it with concrete and gave to Joel as a present (which he is holding). I think it was a treasured possession of Joel's for many years!
Here are some additional favorite pictures of mine of Dad, Mom, Bev, Kaye & I and of the grandkids. You can doubleclick on any of the pictures to see them larger.





Dad was a Deacon at Mt. Olive Baptist Church, rural Girard, Kansas for many, many years! I always felt his greatest attribute was faithfulness. He was faithful to his Lord, to his church, to his wife, to his children, and to his seven grandchildren. I so want to follow that example!
"Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness;
but a faithful man who can find?
The just man walketh in his integrity;
his children are blessed after him."
~~Proverbs 20:6-7
but a faithful man who can find?
The just man walketh in his integrity;
his children are blessed after him."
~~Proverbs 20:6-7
Until I see you again, Dad -- thank you (and Mom) for our godly heritage!
I love and miss you!
I love and miss you!
Debbie



6 comments:
Well this certainly got the waterworks going... hard to believe it has been seven years. I don't think I will ever forget those dark days and my first real experience with the death of a dearly loved one.
I never will hear "I can only imagine" and not think of him. Or think of Mount Olive and not remember how full the church was that day. I know I have said it many times, but he was so much to me. But I will always hold dearly the number of people that day who came because a man named Edward had touched their life somehow, someway.
He had finished the race, and he finished well.
"Well done good and faithful servant." Well done.
I just watched the video too for I can only imagine... that was good!
Crying again reading this once more. I will say, though, I had heard "I can only imagine" about 2 weeks before Dad died and thought then that we needed to play it at his funeral when he died -- but then I forgot about it. I happened to jump in the car with Andy when we went to see Dad's body at the funeral home for the first time and he said, "Aunt Bev, I want you to listen to this song I heard this week." And it was that song!!! I said, "Oh Andy, I heard it about 2 weeks ago and thought then we needed to play it at Grandma's funeral when he died, but then forgot about it." God wanted to make sure we played "I CAN ONLY IMAGINE" at his funeral. I cannot hear that song since that I don't think about Dad.
Crying again reading this once more. I will say, though, I had heard "I can only imagine" about 2 weeks before Dad died and thought then that we needed to play it at his funeral when he died -- but then I forgot about it. I happened to jump in the car with Andy when we went to see Dad's body at the funeral home for the first time and he said, "Aunt Bev, I want you to listen to this song I heard this week." And it was that song!!! I said, "Oh Andy, I heard it about 2 weeks ago and thought then we needed to play it at Grandma's funeral when he died, but then forgot about it." God wanted to make sure we played "I CAN ONLY IMAGINE" at his funeral. I cannot hear that song since that I don't think about Dad.
Enjoyed reading this once again. Thanks for posting it today.
Crying once again as I sit on my hospital bed reading it to her.
Post a Comment