Saturday, January 23, 2010

Our Mothers

You know it is inevitable - but still sad when it happens. Our mothers are getting older and consequently are struggling with some health issues. Both mothers turn 81 this Spring. My mom, Dorothy Boore, has been having back/leg pain for about three months. She has tried a chiropractor, medicines and physical therapy, but nothing has brought real relief. She is now scheduled for an epidural shot next week, but her doctor is doubtful it will take care of the pain. Most probably, she'll need to see an orthopedic surgeon and face surgery. Mom has always been healthy and active, so she's not liking this time in her life at all - and of course, us girls don't like it for her either! She has also been experiencing an upset stomach for a couple of weeks and has lost 9 lbs. Doctor thinks it might be a virus, but seems to me that two weeks of it is rather long! Rachel came up this weekend to see both her grandma's. Here is a picture of us at Mom's.....

Jeff's mom, Evelyn Swart Gaston, is in the hospital in Pittsburg for the second time since the end of December, with congestive heart failure. This is a great concern to us. The doctor said that if they can't get the fluid from building up after this stint in the hospital, there isn't anything else that can be done :-( We were disappointed today when we visited her, that in the 3 days she has been there, they've not succeeded in getting any of the fluid off yet. Here is a picture of Evelyn with Jeff and Rachel......

I got them to laugh :-)

A few days later, Josh & Erika and Andy & Carman came to visit their grandma. It was the last "good" day she had before she died. Jeff & I are so glad that our kids got to visit with her while she was alert enough to know them.


We do appreciate your prayers for both mothers!

2 comments:

Carman said...

I will continue to pray. I'm glad Rachel was able to come up this weekend and spend some time with them.

Rachel Cox said...

I'm glad I was too Carman... Especially given how quickly her health is deteriorating, I am so grateful for that time!