My Mom, Dorothy Boore, had major back surgery on Monday, March 15th at St. John's Hospital in Joplin, MO. Dr. James D. Smith from the new Orthopedic Stateline Surgery Clinic
(near my house) was her surgeon and did an excellent job. The surgery was more extensive and took longer than anticipated but prayerfully it will be successful in removing the pain she has had for six months and she will be able to resume the active lifestyle she has always enjoyed. We are very appreciative of all those who came prior to and during Mom's surgery and those who visited her during the week, sent her cards, and/or called her.
Here are a few pictures (
she'll probably shoot me for posting these--since she doesn't have any make up on or her hair fixed). But I think she looks pretty good considering what she had been thru!

This was her Physical Therapist.....I don't know that I ever got his name. But he reminded me of Rocky Balboa (
from the movie, Rocky....Sylvester Stallone). He was excellent in working with Mom and had her up walking the very next morning!

Holly & Aunt Freda came by to see Mom on Wednesday. While they were there, a nurse brought in a
?beautiful? flower arrangement and handed it to us......I looked at it and thought (
to myself)
oh my, what in the world? But didn't want to say anything in front of Holly & Freda.....so then I opened the card and the first name I saw was "
Holly" and I thought,
oh goodness, I'm so glad I didn't make fun of it -- but then I read the rest of the card and it immediately hit me what this was!!! It was one of those ugly "
white elephant" gifts we got at the Bunco party and then hid them around Holly's house before our departure! Holly, said the nurse gave her such an odd look when she handed it to her and asked her to deliver it to Dorothy Boore in about 15 minutes. So Holly had to tell her it was a "
family joke." HA -- we laughed so loud about it in Mom's hospital room, the nurse who was attending the woman who was Mom's roommate had to ask us to step outside cause the Doctor couldn't hear what his patient was saying!! So Nancy--your wonderful gift is still giving.......



Holly & Aunt Freda holding the beautiful creature.

OK, Boore Clan -- you all haven't seen the last of this beautie!!! Thanks, Holly Anne for the laughs!
Mom was released from the hospital on Friday morning and I brought her to my house. We were both pretty worried about how well she would do, since she was still in so much pain with any movement at the hospital. But thankfully, she's really doing well. Each day, she seems to get stronger and more independent.
We are so grateful to those who have provided delicious meals for us: Leigh Ryan; Jennifer, Jenae & Derenda Shoemaker, Joy Lee French, and Judy Hall and family. After a week of hospital cafeteria food or fast food, the homecooked meals have tasted so good!!
Kaye was suppose to drive up from Conway, AR on Sunday to get Mom and take her home to Girard and spend the week with her there. However, the first day of Spring, brought us a large snowfall (we have about 4" and could have up to 4-6" more with sleet)! So we have cancelled all services for Sunday and Kaye will wait until Monday to come (if the roads have cleared).
To all of you who have prayed for Mom -- I know God has heard those prayers and has answered - thank you, thank you!
2 comments:
Hope if Aunt Kaye is driving today that the roads are clear and that she is safe!
I sure am so grateful that the surgery went well and that Grandma is on the mend. Give her my love!
Yes, Aunt Kaye is on her way - should be here around 2:00 as she's stopping in NWA to eat with Matt.
The roads are clear here....but I see where Girard cancelled school -probably because of the country roads. But it's suppose to get up to 50 today, so everything should be about melted by tonight.
Post a Comment