My husband and I approach birthdays much differently. I'm always grateful for another birthday as the alternative means I'm no longer around to have one. But a meal at a restuarant, a call from my kids, or a card or two is plenty good enough for me in celebrating. However, Jeff on the other hand, always likes to "really" celebrate! So I knew with this being his 60th, he would want a celebration (but since I've never thrown him a party before, he wasn't expecting one). With the many health problems he has had in his life, reaching 60 is a pretty big milestone.
So I decided to throw him a surprise party figuring he would probably not be surprised. However, I pulled it off and he really was surprised!
Our church family and my immediate family was all invited and it was held after our Sunday evening services on the 14th. His birthday is the 15th, but that was the Monday of church camp, so we had the party a day early.
I am so very appreciative to several in our church who set up, decorated, picked up the pizzas and helped serve. I especially thank Derenda Shoemaker for heading that up for me and to Rob and Janet Gant, Leigh and Dave Ryan and Jennifer Shoemaker for cleaning up afterwards so I could go to the house and visit with family before they headed back home!
Red Velvet cake - one of Jeff's favorites---wish I would have remembered the ice cream in the freezer - sorry, folks! Andersons Ice Cream, to boot!!
Pizza is another of Jeff's favorites
We had a great Sunday night turn out from our church family -- thank you!!
Of course, Jeff loved having his kids and grandkids all come
I did too :-)
Thankful Mom was able to come too
Our immediate family
Jeff got a few gifts to open and a huge stack of birthday cards with many gift cards and cash inside. Thank you everyone! Laine is helping Papa open the card from her and her family.
Ahhhh
The ugly "Black Swan Vase" below had to make an appearance......there is quite a history between Jeff and that vase! It started out as a white elephant gift at a Christmas party at Calvary Baptist Church in Mesquite, Texas in the early 1990's. We tried and tried to get rid of that thing, but it kept showing up....one time on the altar at church; one time on an international flight on a missions trip (that was quite the ordeal....a deacon went to the head of a Dallas airlines to get permission to have a stewardess present it to Jeff while flying over the ocean!!)...so that vase traveled the world with Jeff and came back to take up residence in his office. But once again magically appeared in our hotel room in Orlando, Florida on his 40th birthday (and no, I wasn't the one that took it--one of the couples that went with us was responsible :-)). I suppose I will need to bury him with it (I'm kidding...I think!)
Love each opportunity we have all 3 grandchildren together
According to Laine, the party was a success -- there were cupcakes -- her very favorite
Since Jeff didn't know or even suspect a party, he made his own birthday plans and we went to Springfield for an overnight stay a few days prior to his party and even drove on down to Branson that evening for the Showboat Branson Belle cruise, dinner and show. It was really enjoyable!
Happy Birthday to my wonderful husband, Jeff! I'm so glad God chose you to be my husband and for the 40+ years we have celebrated your birthdays together! I love you!

No comments:
Post a Comment